The Hot or Cool Institute is a non-profit think tank that works with experts, organisations, and practice communities on science-based actions to address the magnitude, urgency and scope of a fair transition towards a sustainable society. Following a collaborative approach, Hot or Cool:
- Conducts policy research and analysis to ground science-based approaches to behaviour and institutional change towards sustainable societies
- Coordinates science-communications and outreach to make complex sustainability issues accessible
- Facilitates co-creation of solutions backed by researched understanding and experience
- Designs capacity development for implementation and tools for action at individual, business and government levels.
The organisation is now looking for a highly driven Project Manager responsible for planning and implementing policy research projects. In particular, the Project Manager will be responsible for projects on sustainable consumption and society related to international policy frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
This position combines elements of research, project management, and science communication. The successful candidate will:
- Work with the Hot or Cool team to design and conduct research on sustainable consumption and the transition to a more sustainable society
- Write and contribute to publications based on research and related implementation activities, including policy reports, briefing papers, and reports to funders
- Work with technical and creative teams to develop relevant material and tools for communications and outreach, and also work with various partners to ensure effective outreach and communications of research findings and practice experience
- Contribute to strategic expansion and further resourcing of current projects, including through development of new project proposals together with team members and partner organisations
Some of the specific tasks include:
- Project budget planning and taking the lead on project progress and financial reporting
- Work on ongoing projects (including Horizon 2020 projects) on sustainable lifestyles, coordinating with partners and delivering on content as outlined in the project proposals
- Develop innovative policy and practice solutions based on research and advocate for them
- Lead and contribute to design, implementation and realisation of research on sustainability and society, including developing new research and project ideas and activities that will be part of the research portfolio of the organisation
- Design and develop permanent programs and services for the organisation to support clients and stakeholders towards transition to sustainable society
- Monitor and contribute to shaping policies on aforementioned topics. Support different stakeholders, including national governments, international organisations and NGOs towards development and implementation of policies and actions.
- Advanced academic degree in: Ecology, Environmental Sciences/Management, Political Economy, Consumer Economics or other relevant field,
- A minimum of 5 years working experience, including project management and applied research.
- Proven interdisciplinary education and working experience, including contribution to inter- and transdisciplinary research projects and publications.
- Experience working on EU funded projects is a plus
Demonstrated Skills and Competences:
- Demonstrated ability to conduct scientific analysis, especially on consumption, society and sustainability
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate key messages and research findings in creative and effective ways to different stakeholder groups
- Strong understanding of sustainability science and policy principles
- Experience setting up and using detailed project work plans
- Ability to identify problems and issues, and take initiative to develop and implement solutions
- Ability to coordinate with multiple partners and lead on engagement and research workshops
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Ability to work remotely with colleagues from multiple offices.
Are you ready to join a team of highly ambitious individuals and take on high-impact projects within the policy community that aim to ensure a sustainable future for people and planet?
At Hot or Cool, we strive to be the workplace of the future, to offer a sustainable and regenerative work environment. Applicants can indicate the type of flexibility in working arrangements needed to optimise their productivity and wellbeing.
The position may involve working from home, with regular online communication. The organisation is based in Berlin, however, under exceptional circumstances, work from other locations in Germany is negotiable.
This position is for an initial period of two years with possibility of extension.