The Hot or Cool Institute is a non-profit think tank that works with experts, organisations, and practice communities on science-based actions to address the magnitude, urgency and scope of peaceful and deliberate transition towards a sustainable society. It takes a collaborative approach; it:
- Conducts policy research and analysis to ground science-based approaches to behaviour and institutional change towards sustainable societies
- Coordinates science-communications and outreach to make complex sustainability issues accessible
- Facilitates co-creation of solutions backed by researched understanding and experience
- Designs capacity development for implementation and tools for action at individual, business and government levels.
The organisation is now looking for a highly driven project manager responsible for planning and implementing policy research projects on sustainable consumption and society, related to international policy frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
This position combines elements of research, project management, and science communication. The successful candidate will:
- Work with the Hot or Cool team to design and conduct research on sustainable consumption and transition to a more sustainable society
- Write and contribute to publications based on research and related implementation activities, including policy reports, briefing papers, and reports to funders
- Monitor and contribute to shaping policies on aforementioned topics. Support different stakeholders, including national governments, international organisations and NGOs towards development and implementation of policies and actions
- Work with technical and creative teams to develop relevant material and tools for communications and outreach, and also work with various partners to ensure effective outreach and communications of research findings and practice experience
- Contribute to strategic expansion and further resourcing of current projects, including through development of new project proposals together with team members and partner organisations
- Advanced academic degree in: ecology, environmental science/management, political economy, consumer economics or other relevant field
- A minimum of 5 years working experience, including project management and applied research
Demonstrated Skills and Competences:
- Demonstrated ability to conduct scientific analysis, especially on topics linking consumption, society and sustainability
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate key messages and research findings in creative and effective ways to different stakeholder groups
- Strong understanding of principles of sustainability science and policy
- Experience setting up and using detailed project work plans
- Ability to identify problems and issues, and take initiative to develop and implement solutions
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Ability to work remotely with colleagues from multiple offices
At Hot or Cool, we strive to be the workplace of the future, to offer a sustainable and regenerative work environment. Thus applicants can choose whether to be part- or full-time, and indicate the type of flexibility in working arrangements needed to optimise their productivity and wellbeing.
The position initially involves work from home, with regular online communication. The organisation is based in Berlin; successful applicants are expected to be based there. Under exceptional circumstances work from other locations in Germany is negotiable.
This position is for an initial period of two years with possibility of extension.