The Hot or Cool Institute is a non-profit think tank that works with experts, organisations, and practice communities on science-based actions to address the magnitude, urgency and scope of a fair transition towards a sustainable society. Following a collaborative approach, Hot or Cool:
- Conducts policy research and analysis to ground science-based approaches to behaviour and institutional change towards sustainable societies
- Coordinates science-communications and outreach to make complex sustainability issues accessible
- Facilitates co-creation of solutions backed by researched understanding and experience
- Designs capacity development for implementation and tools for action at individual, business and government levels.
The organisation is now looking for a highly driven Senior Researcher responsible for planning and implementing policy research projects. In particular, the researcher will be responsible to work on one of the Horizon 2020 projects with a focus on carbon footprint calculation.
With the possibility to expand to other areas, this full-time position as researcher takes responsibility of one of the organisation’s Horizon 2020 project. The successful candidate will:
- Lead and coordinate with country partners the design, localization, and implementation of a carbon footprint calculator to be used across Europe
- Lead and contribute to design and implement a comprehensive list of lifestyle actions for reducing the carbon footprint of individuals
- Write and contribute to publications based on the results of the calculator, including policy briefs and scientific articles
- Work with technical and creative teams to develop relevant material and tools for communications and outreach, and work with various partners to ensure effective outreach and communications of research findings and practice experience
Furthermore, the successful candidate will:
- Contribute to the strategic expansion and further resourcing of the organization, including through development of new project proposals together with team members and partner organisations
- Advanced academic degree in: Ecology, Environmental Sciences/Management, Political Economy, Consumer Economics or other relevant fields,
- A minimum of 5 years working experience, including project management and applied research,
- Experience working with large data sets and carbon footprint calculators.
- Proven interdisciplinary education and working experience, including contribution to inter- and transdisciplinary research projects and publications.
- Experience working on EU funded projects is a plus
Demonstrated Skills and Competences:
- Demonstrated ability to conduct scientific analysis, especially on consumption, society and sustainability
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate key messages and research findings in creative and effective ways to different stakeholder groups
- Strong understanding of sustainability science and policy principles
- Experience setting up and using detailed project work plans
- Ability to identify problems and issues, and take initiative to develop and implement solutions
- Ability to coordinate with multiple partners and lead on engagement and research workshops
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Ability to work remotely with colleagues from multiple offices.
Are you ready to join a team of highly ambitious individuals and take on high-impact projects within the policy community that aim to ensure a sustainable future for people and planet?
At Hot or Cool, we strive to be the workplace of the future, to offer a sustainable and regenerative work environment. Applicants can indicate the type of flexibility in working arrangements needed to optimise their productivity and wellbeing.
The position may involve working from home, with regular online communication. The organisation is based in Berlin, however, under exceptional circumstances, work from other locations in Germany is negotiable.
This position is for an initial project based period with possibility of extension.